We read lots today in the news about how stress, modern lifestyles & enviromental pollutants can affect men’s fertility adversely.
Here are some quick tips of things to do and things to avoid:
- Guys keep the laptops off the laps-anything that causes overheating in the groin area can damage your fertility. This is why testicles are not inside your body like the other organs-it is to keep them cool. Make sure you sit at a table when using a laptop so the laptop is not on your lap. (This is also much better for you back as you will tend to sit up straight rather than slouch)
- Give up smoking-studies have shown that smoking adversely affects male fertility
- Keep alcohol consumption at a low level and avoid binge drinking
- Avoid going in very hot baths or saunas as this will cause overheating of the testicles
- Eat you 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day and eat a healthy balanced diet. Try to maintain a healthy weight. Being overweight or underweight can affect your fertility adversely.
- Consider taking a multivitamin supplement that is specifically for men such as Wellman as they contain key supplements that are important for sperm production and general & sexual health
- Avoid taking any recreational drugs as many of them have been shown to affect male fertility adversely
- If you are on a prescription drug check with your GP whether it could affect your fertility
- Avoid overexercising-extreme over exercise has been shown to affect fertility adversely in both men and women. In men it may be due to the overheating element or their may be other factors. Regular moderate exercise is good-just don’t overdo it and try to avoid overheating in the groin area-wear loose fitting workout clothes, boxers or shorts. Avoid the tight fitting lycra! Avoid strenuous riding (ie bicycle or horse) which may cause overheating of groin.
- Some enviromental pollutants can affect male fertility adversely-check if you are working with any toxic chemicals & make sure you are taking adequate health & safety precautions
- Try and relax. Stress can affect fertility adversely. Make time for relaxation every day.
We saved the best two until last:
- Have sex regularly. Studies have shown that having sex regularly actually improves your fertility. There is no advantage to saving the sperm up for the fertile time of the month. Old sperm are more likely to be damaged or have poorer motility. Try to have sex regularly 2-3 times a week to kep the sperm replenished and fresh
- Enjoy sex. Sex is and should be a pleasurable experience so keep it fun.