I watched the show on Monday with my dh and made notes:
Here are some of the TTC tips for helping the sperm on their way that I wrote down. If you have any more please leave them in comments for us.
1) Have sex about every 2-3 days. there is no advantage to saving your sperm up. Fresh sperm are better than old sperm.
2) Avoid sperm hostile lubricants. The sperm can not swim as easily through them and may get stuck. Even saliva can be hostile to sperm.
3) Enjoying sex is important for both partners and may increase the chances of conception
4) When a man is highly aroused he ejaculates more sperm, so it is important to have ‘gourmet sex’ rather than just going through the motions.
5) Female orgasm is also though to be important and increases the chances of conception. It may work by altering the ph in the vagina to be more sperm friendly, and also by contractions that help the sperm on their way. Another older theory, and actually my favourite, is that after orgasm the female usually falls asleep, meaning that she stays horizontal and this may make the journey easier for the sperm.
6) Cervical mucus (CM) is very important as it allows the sperm to swim up into the cervix. For this the mucus needs to be stringy and of ‘egg white consistency’. This is what is known as fertile cervical mucus.
I hope you find these tips helpful.
If you missed the show it is worth watching on your computer-link in previous post.
By the way one of the shows narrators Dr Joanna Ellington is a sperm physiologist. She with a colleague invented a product called Pre-Seed which is sperm friendly lubricant and also mimics fertile cervical mucus. Find out more about Pre-Seed here