MALE FERTILITY TEST-an increasing number of men are checking their fertility by using a male fertility test kit at home.
Home Male Fertility Test Kit-What should we do if the result comes back low?
First thing to say is dont panic. A low sperm count does not mean you can not conceive it may just make it more difficult. However you do need to go and see your doctor now for examination & further sperm tests-this is very important.
Some of the following factors may be worth considering while you are waiting for the appointment to see the doctor.
1) Was the sample ideal? Did you follow the instructions precisely? It may be worth repeating to check this. Cooling the sample or a delay in performing the fertility test can alter the number of active sperm, and give a false result.
2) High testes temperature. Sperm are made in the testes which are in the scrotum. This is the body’s way of keeping the testes slightly cooler than the rest of the body which is best for making sperm. It is often advised for men who have a low sperm count to wear loose fitting underpants and trousers and to avoid very hot baths, saunas, etc. This aims to keep your testes slightly cooler than the rest of your body, which is thought to be good for sperm production. It is not clear whether these measures improve a sperm count, but they seem to be sensible. Also best not to let him sit with his laptop on his groin !
3) Smoking can affect the sperm count. If you smoke, you should stop completely for optimum sperm production.
4) Alcohol. More than 16 units per week (equivalent to about 8 pints of normal strength beer or 16 small glasses of wine) may interfere with optimum fertility.
5) Drugs and medicines. Most do not interfere with sperm production, but some may do. These include: sulphasalazine, nitrofurantoin, tetracyclines, cimetidine, colchicine, allopurinol, some chemotherapy drugs, cannabis, cocaine, and anabolic steroids. They are always finding new drugs that can affect sperm. If you have a low sperm count, tell a doctor if you take any drugs or medicines regularly