We have some great guest bloggers coming on line very soon and are really looking forward to sharing their posts with you. If you would like to do some guest blogging on this site please do get in touch.
This is a fairly common question and one that causes quite a lot of anxiety, as not ovulating is a fairly common cause of infertility. However although this is one explanation,there are other possible reasons why you may not detect the LH surge with your ovulation tests.
- The LH surge may have occurred before you started testing and you therefore missed it
- The LH surge may have occurred after you stopped testing and you may have missed it.
- The urine that you tested may have been too dilute, meaning that the concentration of LH in the sample was not sufficient, to give a positive LH test. Make sure you restrict your fluid intake for about 2 hours before you take the test.
- You may have missed the LH surge because you tested at the wrong time of day. This is not uncommon. LH levels are low first thing in the morning and so if you test at this time, you may miss the LH surge. LH levels are usually highest at early to mid afternoon , so this is the best time to collect your urine for LH testing. Knowing the right time to test can be more tricky for shift workers, as their circadian rhythms are disrupted so they may also miss their LH surge.
- LH surge may not be strong enough to be detected by the LH test. Most LH tests detect 40mIU/ml of Lh in the urine. It may be worth trying an ultra sensitive LH ovulation test that detects a lower level i.e. 20mIU/ml.
- Insufficient urine may have been absorbed by the LH ovulation test. if this was the case then there would be no control line visible on the test. It is important to check that the control line is visible. if it is not it means the test has not run and so the result is invalid. If this happens it is worth quickly dipping the test into the urine sample again for a few seconds as it may still work. Do not delay doing this or the result will be invalid because too much time has elapsed.
- The LH test could in fact be faulty, out of date or been incorrectly stored. Although this is quite uncommon, it can happen. To avoid this problem always buy from a reputable supplier.
- You may be testing at the wrong time of your cycle. For women who have irregular periods, knowing when to test can be very difficult.
- You may not have used the test correctly. Make sure that you read the instructions carefully before starting the test and use a timer.
- You may not be going to ovulate this month. This may just be a one off, but if it happens repeatedly you should see your doctor, as it may mean that you are not ovulating and need further investigations.
- You may already be pregnant. There is always a small possibility that you may already be pregnant. If your last period was different to usual, or very light it may be worth doing a pregnancy test.
We have received our new stock of the Pre-Seed fertility friendly lubricant and we love the pretty new pink packaging.
The current stock has long expiry date and contains the same winning Pre-Seed formulation that you know and trust.
Use discount coupon code ADSUM this month and next at Access Diagnostics fertility site to save you 5% on your order. Please feel free to share this offer with friends & family. Our standard delivery is free when you spend over £25
TTC is a water based personal lubricant from Astroglide that is especially for couples trying to conceive. It is available in 8 pre-filled 5ml applicators.
TTC is suitable for either penile or vaginal application and has been designed to supplement the bodies natural lubrication and is the ph and isotonic levels have been adjusted to support fertility.
Astroglide TTC lubricant is compatible with sperm, oocytes,and embryos and can be safely used by couples trying to conceive.
We are pleased to let you know PreSeed lubricant will be back in stock, we hope this week. We have released it for sale so that you can pre-order and as soon as it is with us we will dispatch it to you.
Use coupon code ADSUM to save 5% on your order
Spend over £25 on goods and qualify for our current Free UK delivery offer
Ultra early pregnancy tests have been around now for about 8-10 years. They detect a lower level of the pregnancy hormone hcg ( human chorionic gonadotrophin ) than normal pregnancy tests, and so can be used to detect pregnancy even before the period has been missed. Ultra early pregnancy tests detect just 10mIu of the pregnancy hormone hcg which means they can detect a pregnancy at a very early stage. Hcg increases dramatically in the first 3 months of pregnancy from less than 5mIU/ml to over 100,000mIU/ml and it is the huge rise in this hormone that is responsible for many of the symptoms of early pregnancy including morning sickness.
How do I perform the pregnancy test using a test strip ?
- Collect a fresh urine sample, ideally first morning void , in a clean dry container. The container does not need to be sterile.
- Read the instructions before you start the test. You will need a timer to time the test as timing is very important. Most mobile phones have a timer you can set to the correct time.
- take the strip carefully out of the foil. Hold the strip at the handle end and avoid touching the strip end that will go into the urine as grease from your hands can interfere with the test
- Immerse the strip into the urine sample up to the the maximum dip line and leave it there for 3-4 seconds so that it can absorb the urine. Do not dip it any deeper than the max dip line.
- remove the pregnancy test strip from the urine sample and lie it flat. Start the timer and time it for the specified time in the instructions. This may vary slightly from brand to brand.
- When the timer goes read the result. You should have a control line showing . This means the pregnancy test strip has worked properly. Now look for the test line. A visible test line on the strip means the test is positive. An absent T line means the test is negative.
- You can only read the result at the specified time after you started the test. Do not come back to the test later and read it as this will not be an accurate result.
Important factors to consider when using an ultra early pregnancy test:
- As ultra early pregnancy tests detect very low levels of hcg , it is best to test on your first urine void of the day, as this is usually more concentrated and so the pregnancy hormone hcg levels will be usually be higher at this time of day.
- Follow the instructions and wait the allocated time as per the instructions (usually a few minutes ) before you read the result. Because the levels are much lower in very early pregnancy the result may take a little longer to show then later in pregnancy.
- You will need to be prepared to re-test. A positive pregnancy test before the missed period should be confirmed 72 hours later and you would hope to see a the positive result developing more quickly on the test line indicating increasing hormone levels.
- You may detect a pregnancy that will then fail to progress. In this case you will get a positive pregnancy test followed by a negative pregnancy test. This is one of the down side of testing for pregnancy early. If you had not tested you would never have known that you were pregnant.
- False positives can occur if there has been a recent miscarriage or pregnancy
- False negatives can occur with ultra sensitive pregnancy tests. If you do the test before the hcg levels have exceeded 10mIU in the urine sample you will get a negative result. This does not mean that you are not pregnant, it may just be that you have tested too early or you’re urine sample was too dilute. In this situation you should wait 48 hours and retest with a fresh urine sample (the first urine that you do in the morning after rising is the most concentrated)
- Most intimate lubricants are not fertility friendly.
- Many popular lubricants can actually harm or kill sperm.
- Fertility lubricants have been created to mimic fertile cervical mucus and to be sperm friendly.
- Using a fertility lubricant can increase the pleasure in love making for both partners, and increase the chance of orgasm.
- Vaginal dryness can be a problem for many couples trying to conceive.
- Using a suitable lubricant reduces the risk of discomfort during love making for both partners.
We are currently recruiting bloggers to write for this fertility blog.
If you are working in a field of fertility or are an alternative health practioner who works with couples who are trying to conceive and you would like to become a contributor on the fertility blog then please send an e-mail to email@example.com
If you currently trying to conceive and would like to share your journey with others ( anonymously of course) though our fertility blog then please contact us and we will set you up as a contributor.
Thought you may be interested in this video review of the new Core ultra early pregnancy tests that we have new in stock this month.
The video discusses how to use ultra early pregnancy tests strips, how early you can take a pregnancy test before your period, the pros and cons of using ultra early pregnancy tests, and when to retest and how to interpret results.
The Core ultra sensitive pregnancy tests detect as low as 10mIU hcg and are available in boxes of 50 individually wrapped test strips.
We have noticed that a lot of our customers mention Pink Pad when we ask them how they found our fertility website.
Pink Pad is a great little free app that you download onto your phone for helping you track your periods & fertile times which is very useful when you are TTC. It also helps you to track and manage other things such as your weight & emotional health and there are also message boards to discuss all things fertility related.
The best selling Advanced ultra early pregnancy tests 10 miu pregnancy test strips are now back in stock .
These affordable high accuracy ultra early very sensitive pregnancy test strips are 98.98% accurate at detecting pregnancy and can be used to reliably detect pregnancy before the missed period. Thye are one of the best pregnancy test strips for early detection available in the UK
They are available in pack sizes from 2 test to 120 tests for frequent testers
Long shelf life
Use coupon code ADSUM to save 5% if you order before the end of August 2014
Thought it was about time we shared a new discount coupon code with you.
Use coupon code sp5 to save 5% online this month and next at Access Diagnostics Fertility Site
The coupon code can be used multiple times between now and the end of April 2014
Feel free to share the coupon code.
Only one coupon is applied per order
The coupon code can also be used at Valuemed Medical Supplies
Use coupon code TT10 to save 10% today at www.accessdiagnostics.co.uk when you spend over £5 on goods
For anyone that is trying to conceive this is one of the most important things to know as the window for conception each month is actually quite small.
If your menstrual cycle is very regular and the same length each month then it is very easy to predict your most fertile days using an ovulation calculator.
There is a very easy to use one at BBC Health
If you cycle is irregular or unpredictable then it may help you to use an ovulation predictor to identify your most fertile days each month as these may will from month to month.
There are several methods to predict when ovulation will occur, the most commonly used method is to use a urine ovulation test or ovulation predictor kit which identifies your LH surge. LH is the hormone which triggers ovulation to occur and it peaks just before ovulation occurs each month & so is a reliable predictor of ovulation. The advantage of using an ovulation predictor is because you know that you are about to ovulate, you can have intercourse just prior to ovulation, as well as at the time of ovulation, to make sure that plenty of sperm are around to fertilise the egg when it is released, thus increasing the chances of conception.
Other methods to identify your most fertile time are looking for signs that ovulation has occurred:
- changes in cervical mucus which becomes more stringy and appears like raw egg whites this method is known as the billings method.
- your basal body temperature increases so many women use a high accuracy thermometer to chart basal body temperature
- There are also changes in saliva around ovulation and this can be identified using a saliva ovulation microscope.
The disadvantage to these methods is they do not give you prior notice that ovulation is about to occur just that is has occurred. studies show that if you have intercourse just prior to ovulation as well as at ovulation it increases your chances of conceiving. It means the sperm are ready & waiting for the egg.
Use online coupon code aut5 to save 5% this month and next at Access Diagnostics Fertility site
This is a common question that we are asked as the two products are very similar. They are both excellent fertility lubricants that have been designed specifically for couples trying to conceive, and are the two leading fertility lubricants in the UK currently.
We thought we would give you our opinion of the pros and cons for each, having sold them both for many years now ,to help you to choose which one will suit your needs.
Lets start with reviewing Pre-Seed lubricant
Pre-Seed has been around now for many years in fact we have been selling it for about 9-10 years I think. During that time we have lots of positive feedback about the product and very little if any negative feedback.
Originally it was only available in pre-filled applicators but it now comes in a 40g multi-use tube with applicators that you can fill yourself.
Pros for Pre-Seed
- its been around for ages and has lots of positive feedback & successful pregnancies.
- it is available in a multi-use tube with vaginal applicators that you fill yourself which means that you can use as little or as much as you like and you only need to buy one product
- it can be used for intravaginal application & for external application to either partner
- it has been clinically tested and shown to be sperm friendly & non irritant
- it is reasonably priced at around £12-15 pound for a 40g tube
- it is easy to use and comes with comprehensive instructions
- it is the most versatile product of the two as it allows for both external and internal application
Cons for Pre-Seed
- Currently at time of writing it is only available online in UK and mainly through specialist fertility suppliers
- The lack of a small tube means you cannot try Pre-Seed before committing to a large tube
Now we will give our review of Conceive Plus
Conceive Plus has also been around a long time (although not quite a s long as Pre-Seed I think) and also has lots of positive feedback & Successful pregnancies. It is available as 3 different products currently. Pre-filled applicators & tubes of Conceive plus in two sizes (small & large).
Pros for Conceive Plus
- The small cheaper 30g tube allows you to try the Conceive Plus before you commit to a larger tube & is excellent value for money. It is ideal for external application to either partner for foreplay & intercourse.
- It is widely available in Boots and also online
- There is lots of positive feedback about the product and very little negative feedback.
- The range of products means that there should be a product to suit you.
- Reasonably priced at between £6 and £15
- Easy to use and comes with comprehensive instructions from manufacturer
- The small 30g tube is small & discreet for when travelling
- The pre-filled applicator product allows you to insert the lubricant deep inside the vagina if dryness is a problem and you do not need to work out how much lubricant to use as this is done for you.
Cons for Conceive plus
- The lack of a multi-use tube means that if you want to use intravaginal applicators & have the lubricant for external application you have to buy two products making it more costly.
- Some women find the pre-filled applicators contain too much lubricant and so some is wasted-you are not able to choose how much lubricant you put into the applicator as this is done for you.
Conclusion-Is it Pre-Seed or Conceive Plus ?
Well our answer is it depends on how you wish to use the product.
If you are looking for a lubricant that you can use internally as well as externally & where you can choose how much lubricant to insert into the vaginal applicator then I would try Pre-Seed multi-use 40g tube first and see if it suits you. This way you are only having to purchase one product.
If you are looking for a product just for foreplay and then external application to either partner then I would probably try the Conceive plus 30g tube first and see if it suits you. you can then go onto buy a larger tube if required.
If you are looking for a lubricant just for internal vaginal application prior to intercourse, with pre-filled applicators so that you do not need to decide how much lubricant to use, then opt for Conceive Plus pre-filled applicators.
Whichever one you choose they are both great fertility lubricants and we have no hesitation in recommending them both. Just choose the format that suits your particular needs.
If you have not used them before and are used to a midstream ovulation test, then you may be asking yourself this question.
Ovulation test strips are much cheaper than traditional midstream ovulation tests because they are much cheaper to manufacture, and the packaging costs are much less. They are also cheaper to deliver, as they pack into a very small pack, and yet the accuracy if used correctly is just as good.
Ovulation tests detect a hormone in urine called LH or Luteinising hormone, that is the hormone responsible for stimulating the release of the egg from the ovary. High levels of LH usually indicate that ovulation is imminent and likely to occur in the next couple of days. This makes urine LH testing a useful way to predict ovulation.
How do you use an ovulation test strip ?
- 1st thing to do is obtain a clean container in which to catch your urine sample. It does not need to be a sterile container. A clean plastic cup is ideal or one of those sample bottles your GP sometimes gives you. You can use the same container each time you do the test, just make sure you wash it & rinse it out thoroughly between uses.
- Like any ovulation test you need to perform the test at the right time in your cycle.
- Wait at least 2 hours after drinking before you collect your urine sample. It does not matter what time of day you do the test as long as you do it at approximately the same time each day. Best to avoid 1st thing in the morning as the LH levels can be lower overnight. For most people early to mid afternoon is a good time to test.
- Read the instructions supplied with the ovulation test before you start the test
- Follow the instructions for the test that you have as they may vary slightly, depending on which brand of ovulation test strip you have bought, although most instructions will be quite similar.
- Collect the urine sample
- Hold the test strip by the correct end (there will usually be a picture with the instructions to help you identify this ) and arrows pointing down to show you which way is down as in the picture above. Often the end that you hold has a plastic or shiny covering.
- Immerse the strip into the urine sample, just up to the max mark for a few seconds (i.e. only the bottom half of the strip goes into the urine) You should be able to see the urine being absorbed up the strip. If you have got the strip upside down, you will not see any urine travelling up the strip.
- Remove the strip from the urine sample & lie it flat.
- Read the result after the designated time, as laid out in the instructions (usually a couple of minutes.) I find it is best to always set a timer as the time that you read the result is very important, and it is so easy to get distracted. Timer keeps you focussed.
- If the test has run correctly you will have a control line C visible which means the test has absorbed enough urine. If the control line is not visible, then check that you have put the correct end of the strip into the urine and re-immerse the strip into the urine for a further few seconds, until you see the urine start to be absorbed.
- If you have a visible control line then now look the for test line usually marked T . For the LH test to be positive, the T line should be as dark or darker than the C line. If you get this result then you can stop testing & it likely that ovulation is imminent and so this & the next couple of days is your most fertile time.
- If the result is not positive then you should repeat the test the next day, and keep doing so until you detect the LH surge.
This all sounds very complicated when I write it down, but in fact it is incredibly easy to do, once you get the hang of it. The key is to follow the instructions to the letter the first few times you do it, and to use a timer. After you have done it a few times you will find it very easy to remember.
Just a quick post to let you know that we have a 10% discount coupon code aut10 active at Access Diagnostics Fertility Site from now until midnight on Sunday 3rd November.
- coupon code is aut10
- to use the coupon you need to spend over £10 on goods excluding postage
- coupon may be used multiple times
- only one coupon is applied per order
- Free UK delivery when you spend over £75 on goods
- feel feel to pass the coupon on
- coupon is also active at Valuemed Medical Supplies UK
p.s If you missed this coupon code then use our winter 5% coupon code aut5 to save 5% until they end of January 2014 at either of these websites above.
Early detection pregnancy tests are the pregnancy tests that can detect a pregnancy at the earliest stage before the period has been missed.
They are more sensitive than a standard pregnancy test kit and detect lower levels of the hormone hcg . This hormone is released in large quantities during early pregnancy and rises rapidly. It can be detected in the urine They are also know as ultra pregnancy tests or sensitive pregnancy tests.
Most standard home pregnancy test kits will give a positive result when the level of hcg reaches 25mIU in the urine. An ultra early detection pregnancy test will give a positive result when the hormone level reaches just 10mIU hcg in the urine making it far more sensitive and able to detect a pregnancy at an earlier stage. This can be as early as 8-10 days after ovulation or assisted conception.
Here is our latest Access Diagnostics 5% coupon code which you can use as many times as you like between now and the end of January 2014
As the choice in ovulation test strips increases we are frequently asked which are the best ovulation test strips to buy.
The choice depends on three main factors-budget, accuracy of the tests, the sensitivity of ovulation test strip required & how often you will be performing the ovulation testing.
All ovulation test strips are relatively cheap to buy when compared to midstream pregnancy tests. The reason for this is that there is far less packaging and the test strips are much cheaper to manufacture.
If you have used ovulation test strips before without success or not had clear results then opt for the ultra sensitive 25mIU ovulation test strips by Blue Cross
If you have a very limited budget then opt for the cheap ovulation test strips which we have manufactured for us by BlueCross. At just £3.99 for 25 test strips they offer excellent value for money and are a trusted & reliable branded ovulation test strip
If your budget is higher then the Advanced LH ovulation test strip is our best quality & highest accuracy (99.98% ) ovulation test strip. We have been selling this brand for about 7-8 years now and have found them to be highly accurate & reliable. They sensitivity of the Advanced LH ovulation test strips is 40mIU LH and these are what we would recommend for most testers. They still offer excellent value for money and work out cheaper per test than most over the counter ovulation test kits.
If you are a healthcare professional and will be doing large numbers of ovulation test then the professional ovulation test strips are the ones to choose. These are highly accurate and reliable tests from Instalert brand and we have been selling this brand now for over 10 years and been very impressed with their quality & accuracy.
Pre-Seed lubricant can help you to conceive by providing sperm friendly lubrication for your baby making activities.
PreSeed lubricant has been developed by doctors to mimic your fertile fluid, and is used by fertility clinics in the USA.
Why choose Pre-Seed ?
- Clinical trials have shown Pre-Seed to be fertility friendly.
- Pre-Seed is odourless & non irritant
- Pre-Seed lubricant feels natural
- Pre-Seed allows the sperm to move freely
p.s Use online coupon code sum5 before the end of September 2013 to save 5% at Access Diagnostics Fertility
The Fertilityscore home fertility test for men tests both the sperm count & the sperm motility. The pack comes with everything that you need to cunduct the fertility test in the privacy of your own home including full instructions.
Each pack contains 2 home male fertility tests so that you can test yourself twice over a 10 day period. The fertility test is easy to use and accurate in clinical studies and highly reccomended by men.
Ultra early detection pregnancy tests have been available now for several years and are proving very popular & reliable at diagnosing pregnancy before the missed period.
If you are using an ultra early sensitive 10miu hcg pregnancy test you need to test 1st thing in the morning on the first urine that you pass after waking, as the hcg level will usually be more concentrated then, and so you have a higher chance of detecting if you are pregnant or not.
Advantages of ultra early pregnancy test strips:
- they detect lower levels of the pregnancy hormone hcg
- they are easy to use
- you find out sooner
- the ultra early pregnancy test strips are excellent value for money
Disadvantages of ultra early pregnancy tests:
- They may detect a very early pregnancy that then fails to continue, that you would otherwise not know about.
- false negatives are more common, as the pregnancy hormone level in the urine, may not be high enough even for the ultra sensitive pregnancy test to detect.
- you may need to test repeatedly until you get a positive pregnancy test or your period starts
Conceive Plus® fertility lubricant is now available in a handy 30ml tube.
Its advanced formula contains magnesium and calcium ions, which are essential to prolonging sperm viability (keeping sperm healthy) and motility (helping sperm to swim).
Conceive Plus Fertility Lubricant is pH and electrolyte balanced to imitate the body’s own natural fluids and is completely safe for sperm and embryo development. It also helps with the fertilisation process to increase your chances of actually getting pregnant.
Conceive Plus is suitable for all couples who want to have a baby, whether you are just preparing to conceive or have been trying to get pregnant for some time.
Clinically tested with data published by the American Society For Reproductive Medicine in 2009.
How to use Conceive Plus: Apply a teaspoon sized amount on both him and her and re-apply as often as needed.
Do you like guestblogging ?
We are currently looking for guest bloggers & contributors on this fertility blog.
If you would like to be a guest fertility blogger please do get in touch by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by posting in comments and we will contact you. Any e-mail address that you post in comments is kept private and will not appear on the fertility blog
Just a quick post to let you know that we have updated our special offers and have some very cheap yet accurate ovulation test strips available online.
Click here to see all our latest special offers & discounts on pregnancy tests, ovulation tests , fertility tests & fertility products
Use online discount coupon sp5 to save an extra 5%
ps almost forgot -have a happy Valentines day.
Access Diagnostics have an extensive range of pregnancy test strips available at wholesale prices to trade & NHS customers.
For NHS customers we have the professional range of pregnancy test kits
NHS purchase orders accepted on standard 30 day terms. Please fax purchase orders to 01623 884 105 or e-mail to email@example.com
Instalert brand do professional pregnancy test strips in two sensitivities 10mIU ultra early pregnancy test strips and the 25mIU standard early pregnancy test strip. We have been supplying the Instalert brand of professional pregnancy test strips in 10mIU and 25mIU sensitivity wholesale now for many years and have found them to be extremely accurate and reliable pregnancy test strips.
Click here for more information about the Instalert professional 10mIU ultra early pregnancy test strips in resealable cannisters of 25 pregnancy test strips http://accessdiagnostics.co.uk/acatalog/25-instalert-ultra-10miu-pregnancy-test-vials1-fhc-u111-fertility.html
Click here for information on the same Instalert ultra early pregnancy test strips in individual foil wrappers in boxes of 50 tests http://accessdiagnostics.co.uk/acatalog/50_Ultra_10miu_Pregnancy_Test_Carton_packs.html
Click here for more information about the Instalert professional 25mIU early pregnancy test strips in resealable cannisters of 25 pregnancy test strips http://accessdiagnostics.co.uk/acatalog/25-instalert-25miu-pregnancy-test-vials-fhc-111s-fertility.html
Click here for information on the same Instalert 25mIU early pregnancy test strips in individual foil wrappers in boxes of 50 tests http://accessdiagnostics.co.uk/acatalog/50-instalert-25miu-early-pregnancy-test-strip-carton-fhc-101-fertility.html
For trade wholesale customers who wish to re-sell we have a range of home pregnancy test strips available at wholesale prices.
Visit our wholesale website http://www.adtuk.co.uk/
We have a range of wholesale home pregnancy tests strips available to buy online in both 10mIU and 25mIU hcg sensitivity http://www.adtuk.co.uk/acatalog/PREGNANCY_TEST_STRIPS.html
If you require any help or information or if you do not see what you are looking, or if you require larger volumes then contact our trade customer services team during office hours Monday to Friday on 01623 883 830 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact us if you require wholesale prices on any of our pregnancy tests, ovulation tests and fertility products
All our pregnancy tests, ovulation tests & fertility products are available wholesale to NHS & wholesale customers.
Use coupon code sp5 to get a 5% discount at Access Diagnostics Fertility Site when you puchase ovulation tests, pregnancy tests, Pre-Seed, Clearblue or any other fertility tests or products
The coupon is active until the end of April 2013 & can be used multiple times. Only one coupon is applied per order. Feel free to share the coupon code & pass it on.
Coupon is also active at Valuemed Medical Supplies
We have a 10% online coupon code active at www.accessdiagnostics.co.uk for the next 5 days only.
The coupon code is AD10 and is active until midnight on Sunday 20/1/13
Low cost delivery options available. Free UK Delivery when you spend over £75
Can’t believe how quickly 2013 has come around and how long it is since I posted on this blog.
I have not yet sat down and made my new years resolutions. Every year for the past 10 years I have made the same resolution each year-I wonder if can you guess what it is.
Unsurprsingly it has been ‘to diet & to lose weight’ . In fact to lose 18lbs to be precise. Each year I start off my diet quite well and lose a few pounds then things seem to slip and I am back 12 months later with the same resolution and often more weight to lose.
But last year things were different. I found I had a really good incentive to lose weight -it was affecting my health adversely-it is amazing how much easier it is to lose weight when you have a really good reason to do so. I joined Weight Watchers and lost weight steadily getting to my target last summer. I have been at goal now for about 6 months. The support & motivation I gained from attending the class was invaluable and I found I looked forward and still do so to attending the class.
If you are trying to conceive and you are overweight then you have a really good incentive to lose weight. Being over weight reduces fertility in both men and women and losing weight can improve your chances of conceiving. Being at a healthy weight when you start your pregnancy is also associated with fewer health risks for both mother and foetus and can help you to maintain a healthy weight throughout pregnancy.
If you have quite a lot of weight to lose it may be worth talking to your GP. Some GP surgeries will fund courses with weight watchers or similar groups.
Proxeed Plus is a male fertility dietery supplement that has been clinically shown to provide the nutritional support required for optimal sperm quality.
Proxeed Plus contains the following ingredients: L-carnitine (fumarate) ,Acetyl-L-carnitine, Fructose, Citric acid, Selenium, Coenzyme Q10, Vitamin C, Zinc, Folic acid, and Vitamin B12
An article in The Daily Mail this week, revealed how a couple who had been trying for a a baby for about 6 months without success, expressed concerns to their GP. Because the man had previously had mumps, he was referred to the hospital for a sperm test.
The results of the test where startling, showing that although he had a healthy number of sperm, the sperm showed abnormalities consistent with heat damage. The tails of the sperm where wrapped around the heads meaning they could not swim properly.
On closer questioning of the couple it was revealed that the man spent several hours every night with his laptop on his lap. He was advised to stop this practice, and to put the laptop on a table instead. He did this and 3 months later his wife was pregnant, and they now have an 11 month old daughter. The couple had no idea that the laptop could damage sperm in this way.
Heat can be a cause of infertility in men, and has long been recognised in chefs who work long hours in hot kitchens. Laptops emit a lot of heat when they are on and if sat on your lap can cause overheating of the testicles. The widespread use of laptops has meant that this cause of male infertility is on the increase. The good news is it is reversible.
The message is clear. If you are trying for a baby keep your laptop off your lap and give the little swimmmers a fighting chance.
You can read the news article here
p.s Just a thought even if you are not trying for a baby it makes sense to keep your testicles cool. We don’t yet know what other harmful effects sitting a laptop on your groin may have, but it seems wise to exercise caution in this area.
Just a quick post to let you know we have a 10% discount coupon active until midnight on Wednesday 14th November at www.accessdiagnostics.co.uk
The coupon code is ADT10
It needs to be typed exactly as above ie no gaps and block capitals followed by number 10
The coupon can be used multiple times. Only one coupon is applied per order. Happy shopping. Feel free to pass it on.
The results of a new study from Denmark reported in the Journal of Reproduction has shown that your mothers age at menopause may be a good predictor of fertility.
The researchers studied 527 women between the age of 20-40 years of age, and found that women whose mothers had an early menopause had far fewer viable eggs in their ovaries than those women whose mothers had a later menopause.
Women are born with all the eggs that they will ever have, and so those women that had fewer viable eggs have fewer chances of conceiving. This can be measured and is known as the ‘ovarian reserve’
The message from the study seems to be that if your mother had an early menopause then statistically you have a higher chance of having a low ovarian reserve and so should avoid postponing trying to conceive and start early. But this does not mean you can be complacent if you mother had a late menopause.
The message for all women is to avoid postponing & start early as ovarian reserve declines with age. In times of recession lots of women may put off starting a family and then face difficulties later due to reduced fertility.
Source BBC news http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20217735
Came across this study online. If you have time fill it in.
”I am doing my MS thesis on infertility and diet/exercise. If you could all graciously pass this along or fill out if I would greatly appreciate it” http://nyu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_e3rBOn0VPa3u8nj
A controversial new IVF method being researched in the US has produced promising results. So far the studies have been done on human embryos in the lab and monkeys. The technique is used to reduce transmission of mitochondrial disease from mother to child. A public consultastion on the ethics of using this techenique in UK is underway the results of which are expected next spring.
Source BBC News & HFEA
Find out more here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20032216
and at the HFEA http://www.hfea.gov.uk/7517.html